Sunday, October 18, 2015

Social Media - News Shaker MH17

I am a "late comer" to social media- this blog is barely two months old. I have always been of the opinion that social media could never replace investigative journalism of the Edward R. Murrow's. I was shaken positively with this week's events regarding the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17.

British blogger, Eliot Higgins, and his collaborators were able to track the movements of a Buk missile launcher through rebel-held territory in eastern Ukraine on the day the plane was shot down.
(http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/731964/social-media-sleuths-cracked-mh17-missile-case.)

. "As part of our new report examining the open source evidence of the downing of Flight MH17 we tracked the movement of the Russian military convoy that transported the Buk missile launcher to the border with Ukraine. Using StoryMap we’ve put together this interactive map of the route the 53rd Brigade."

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2015/10/08/exploring-russias-53rd-brigades-mh17-convoy-with-storymap/

I found Higgins website quite interesting, it is definitely worth a look. The latest for the blogger(s) is the Russian activity in Syria

1 comment:

  1. Do you think that journalists should be required to inform governments about imminent danger? Sometimes it seems as if they are too quick to report information or too prepared to have not been tipped off? Would love to hear your opinion. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete